From Best Free Stuff Guide
Consumers that enjoy visiting science centers and museums, but dislike the high admission costs some of them charge, can use science center coupons to help shave dollars off the overall cost of an admission ticket. Discounts are available online as printable coupons from select tourist websites, or inside local print publications. Coupons can also be found inside select Entertainment Coupon Books. A science center's official website may promote discounts and deals, including offers for seniors, groups, museum members, military personnel, and AAA members.
|Offered by||Science centers and museums|
|Locations||All over the U.S. and worldwide|
|Phone numbers||Varies by museum|
|Features||Exhibits, educational programs, gift shop, IMAX theatres, cafes|
|Types of coupons||Printable coupons, coupon books, coupon mailers, group discounts, member offers|
Do you love to save? Never want to miss a deal? Sign up for our newsletter here
About Science Centers
Although science centers date back to the 19th century, their popularity did not begin to take off until the 1960s and 1970s. One of the first science centers to open to the public was the Pacific Science Center in Seattle, which opened in 1962. Other science centers that opened during the 1960s include the Exploratorium in San Francisco, and the Ontario Science Centre in Toronto, Ontario.
The Association of Science-Technology Centers, or ASTC, was incorporated in 1973. The association's main focus remains to "serve science centers needs for information, advocacy, and professional development." Today, the association has almost 600 members, and offers a reciprocal membership program for hundreds of its sponsored science centers and museums. This means that visitors that purchase a membership to one of the ASTC sponsored museums can also get free or discounted admission to the other sponsored museums.
Science Center Coupons and Free Offers
- Coupons for various science centers are sometimes offered inside coupon mailers like Valpak. Savings may include BOGO deals and dollars off discounts.
- Visitors can access printable coupons for select museums from city and tourist websites. For example, Visit My Baltimore offers a $2 off admission coupon for the Maryland Science Center.
- Consumers can purchase select Entertainment Coupon Books to access coupons for dollars off deals, percentages off savings, and BOGO offers. The Seattle Entertainment Coupon Book, for example, offers a coupon good for a buy one, get one free admission ticket.
- Bank of America customers can receive free admission to select science centers during the first full weekend of each month through the Museums on Us program. Participating museums include, but are not limited to, the Chabot Space and Science Center, the Tech Museum of Innovation, the Discovery Science Center, the Discovery Museum and Planetarium, and the Museum of Science and History.
Science Center Discounts and Offers on the Official Website
Consumers can check out the official website of the science center they plan on visiting, and access information on savings opportunities, including the following:
- Group discounts are usually available for 10 to 20 visitors. Savings are typically between $1-$5 off admission, with advance reservations required. Some museums may also offer a complimentary ticket for tour operators, or a free ticket for every 15 purchased.
- Memberships can be purchased for $50-$70 at most museums, and include free admission for an entire year. Additional benefits may include discounts at the museum's cafes and stores, discounts on IMAX movies and planetarium admissions, and free or discounted admission to ASTC science centers worldwide.
- Some science centers offer AAA discounts, military discounts, savings for seniors, and discounts for students.
- Many museums will provide social networking information on their official website for Twitter feeds and Facebook pages. Once visitors "Like" or follow the museum, they will have access to museum news and discount offers.
- Some museums offer free days. Some of these are specifically for county or state residents, while others are general free days. Many museums also offer free days, or discount admission days, as part of the Target Free Events program.
Visiting a Science Center
Also See: Free Tellus Museum Coupons, Free Exploratorium Coupons, Free Pacific Science Center Coupons, Free Discovery Science Center Coupons, Free COSI Columbus Coupons, Free Cleveland Science Center Coupons, Free Ontario Science Centre Coupons, Museums on Us, Target Free Events, Free Childrens Museum Coupons, Free Children's Museum of Denver Coupons